Friday 30 August 2013

Fever Explained


"or breeze emerge to lift the frowsy ruffs of owls"

In August heat many years ago, I slept, my body swelled with baby, and my sheet twisted and wet.   When I read Hailey Leithauser's poem (which I posted yesterday), I remember that heat.  And because Leithauser's poem is full of word beauty, I steep in her words. That act is what gives poetry life. Follow me, please, as I share my thoughts- and one day soon or perhaps today, take a poem and print it off.  Put it on your workspace.  Read it.  Study.  Enjoy the rapture of words.



Fever

The heat so peaked tonight
the moon can't cool                      

a scum-mucked swimming            I love the word "mucked"- one of my favorites
pool, or breeze                              pool and cool- do you like that rhyme?  I'm not so sure I do.

emerge to lift the frowsy               "to lift the frowsy ruffs of owls"  I will never write anything that 
ruffs of owls too hot                      perfect in all my life---The best line in the entire poem.  
                                                      frowsy- shabby, unkempt  ruffs-something like a collar or neck piece             

to hoot, (the mouse and brown      Look for assonance (repeated vowel sounds)- ow found in owls, mouse, brown
barn rat astute                                Hear the consonance (repeated end sounds) - in hot, hoot, rat, astute

enough to know to drop
and dash) while

on the bunched up,
corkscrewed sheets of cots

and slumped brass beds,               Even the beds are tired and worn from the heat- also more 
the fitful twist                               alliteration. 

and kink and plead to dream
a dream of air

as bitter cruel as winter                Can you feel the change?  She will now make us feel cold.
gale that scrapes and blows

and gusts the grate                      To luff--remember the word ruff at the beginning- hmmm, nice._
to luff                                          Imagine a sail boat- puffed up with wind and the white ashes blowing.   

the whitened ashes from the coal.


by Hailey Leithauser                   How does she know heat or bitter cruel winter?
                                                    Raised in Maryland- Lives in Florida.   





No comments:

Post a Comment