Sunday 20 July 2014

Alms for the Poor Gardener


Every year I try my hand at gardening. Because of the shade in my yard and my searing impatience for the North Dakota growing season, I harvest little.  

"I reap more vegetables from our friendship than from my own garden," I say to my friend Amy.  But am I disappointed? Not when I consider the offering.  


Beans Green and Yellow
By Mary Oliver 
In fall
it is mushrooms
gathered in dampness
under the pines;
in spring
I have known the taste of the lamb
full of milk
and spring grass;
today
it is beans green and yellow
and lettuce and basil
from my friend’s garden -
how calmly,
as though it were an ordinary thing,
we eat the blessed earth.

1 comment:

  1. That's such a stunning picture, Lisa! We're so happy to share. :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete