Friday 23 August 2013

Writing Haiku

Poet Charles Henri Ford (1913-2002) wrote haiku every single day.  For the past few weeks, I have imitated Ford's practice.  My head is full of haiku, and I believe the rest of my body will soon follow. Today I made a grass angel--thanks to haiku.



Charles Ford writes:


Nothing matters but
nonsense and even nonsense
doesn't matter long.


I write:


Early morning fog--
even a highway
looks like the way.




Here are some tips for writing Haiku:


GO out into the natural world.

WHAT do you wish to share?
WHAT is your moment of enlightenment?
That's WHAT you write.

USE your senses.
USE a seasonal word.
USE contrast.

BE simple.
BE direct.
BE present (or at least use present tense).

NO rhyming.
NO explaining.  (Show with your senses, and leave it at that.)
NO titles.



Give it a try; write, and remember:


"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder."
                                                                   E. B. White, Charlotte's Web



 If you are willing to share your haiku with me, send it as a comment, or email me at happyasamermaid@gmail.com.  I would love to read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment